Saturday, July 28, 2012

Train Melted Crayon Art

Hey, there!

On Friday night, I attended the concert that Train held in Raleigh. I wanted to make something special for the concert and my friends and I had recently tried a cool crayon-melting technique. I decided to make a version specifically to honor one of my favorite bands.

This is the finished Product, let me know if you like it!

The materials used for this were:

1.  Canvas (mine was a cheapish version that I got on sale at Michael's Craft Store)
2.  Hot glue gun (it's the most effective adhesive for the crayons) 
3. Extra hot glue sticks**
4. Masking Tape 
5.  Hairdryer
6. small (pocket/exacto) knife
7. CRAYONS ( I used one 64 pack)


   

















    First, get out your crayons, and begin to assemble them in rough groups by color. This makes lining them up in rainbow order a bit easier
                                               
















Next, arrange them in a rough rainbow scheme ( a little randomness makes the art look much better, don't stress about putting every crayon in order)















 I then peeled each crayon. I helped a lot to first score the crayons with the knife, and then peel the wrappers off.





I then sketched out the design i wanted for the stencil and taped over it ( I got my inspiration from the band's album covers).


















           I then glued the naked crayons to the top of the canvas and set up a work station outside with an extension cord for my hair dryer and got to work melting (my brother helped me a lot with this step), which was obviously the most fun part of making this!

















         After it was melted to my satisfaction (enough that the tape is mostly covered), I let it cool, and then peeled the tape off. The masking tape I used came off pretty easily, but I had to be careful because chunks of the wax kept trying to fall off!

It only took me an hour to make this, and I brought it to the concert with hopes of a signature. Sadly, that didn't work out. However, the concert was lots of fun, and I got some nice complements on my art! : )

If you need more inspiration, here are some links to some other pieces:
Some cool umbrella-and-rain art
An interesting cross hatch pattern


~ Ashley

P.S. Let me know if you try something like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment